USWE recently invited me to deepest, darkest mid-Wales to check out its new trail backpacks — review incoming soon — and to ride with sponsored athlete and childhood hero of mine, Steve Peat.
While the opportunity to try and keep up with someone I admired very much as a yoof was a slightly surreal experience, getting to ogle over the legend’s bike up close was perhaps equally as exciting.
And what a bike it is — this Santa Cruz Hightower was described as Steve’s “everyday bike” and it was great to see a ride that really sees a lot of abuse.
- Frame: Santa Cruz Hightower CC
- Fork: Fox Float 36 Factory
- Shock: Fox Float X
- Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet with CaneCreek 40 upper cup
- Brakes: Shimano XTR M9000
- Shifter lever: Shimano XTR M9000
- Rear derailleur: Shimano XTR M9000
- Cassette: Shimano XTR M9000 11-40
- Chain: Shimano XTR M9000
- Crankset: Shimano XTR M9000, 30T chainring
- Wheelset: ENVE M70 wheels laced to blue Chris King ISO hubs
- Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.30 front, Maxxis Ardent 2.25 rear
- Handlebars: ENVE Downhill bar
- Stem: ENVE mountain stem, 50mm
- Pedals: Crank Brothers Mallet DH
- Saddle: WTB Rocket Santa Cruz Syndicate
- Seat post: Rockshox Reverb Stealth
- Grips: Lizard Skinz Peaty grips with Minnaar lockrings
- Other accessories: 50-01 front mudguard