True to form, Shimano has trickled down the technology and aesthetics of its latest Dura-Ace 9100 and Ultegra R8000 groupsets to the component group of the proletariat in the form of Shimano 105 R7000.
We've finally got our mitts on the new 105 R7000 groupset and are pleased to present a closer look at some of the shared components and actual weights of the rim-brake version.
Shimano 105 R7000 highlights
- Significant mechanical and aesthetic trickle-down from Dura-Ace R9100 and Ultegra R8000
- Available in black and silver finishes
- Wider range gearing
- Improved lever ergonomics
- No more ugly hydraulic levers!
Please note we've quoted Shimano's own RRPs throughout this article — view these prices as a guide and refer to your preferred retailer for real-world pricing.
We have quoted actual weights where we have the components to hand, but as more components trickle in, we're hoping to update this list with actual weights for every component in the groupset.
Shimano ST-R7000, ST-R7020 and ST-R7025 levers
The new groupset has three different dual-control levers. All share the same streamlined look of the higher end Ultegra R8000 levers with slimmed down hydraulic internals, improved ergonomics and 15mm of reach adjustment.
The ST-R7000 shifters are for rim brakes or cable-actuated disc brakes. We have a pair of these in and each shifter comes in at 238g.
- ST-R7000 weight: 238g per shifter
- ST-R7000 pricing (pair): £219.99 / $234.99 / €229.00 / AU$429.00
- Buy Shimano ST-R7000 shifters from Chain Reaction Cycles
The new ST-R7020 Dual-Control levers are the first hydraulic disc brakes at the 105 level. These replace the non-series RS-505 brake levers, which worked well but had bulges for the hydraulic internals that some riders found awkward in hand.
Note the below prices refer to a fully bled system (left and right).
- ST-R7020 pricing: £469.98 / $619.98 / €429.00 / AU$858
- Buy Shimano R7020 shift levers from Tredz
Rounding out this trio is the ST-R7025, which is a hydraulic disc brake Dual-Control lever with 4mm less reach to the lever blades than the regular levers. These are designed with smaller hands (including juniors) in mind.
- ST-R7025 pricing: £469.98 / $619.98 / €429.00 / AU$858
- Buy Shimano R7025 small shift levers from Bike24
Shimano BR-R7070 disc caliper and SM-RT70 disc rotor
Accompanying the new hydraulic levers is a new BR-7070 disc brake caliper. The new caliper attaches via the (now nearly universally adopted) flat mount standard. It uses the same brake pads as Dura-Ace and Ultegra.
- BR-R7070 weight: 147g front, 138g rear. This is a claimed weight is per caliper
- BR-7070 disc caliper pricing: $69.99, €65.99, official UK and AUS pricing TBC
- Buy Shimano BR-7070 caliper from Tredz
Along with this new caliper is the SM-RT70 rotor, already used in the SLX line. The rotor will be available in 160mm as well as a 140mm version.
- SM-RT70 weight: 193g (203mm), 159g (180mm), 133g (160mm) and 121g (140mm). Claimed weight per rotor.
- SM-RT70 rotor pricing: $33.99 / €39.99, official UK and AUS pricing TBC
- Buy Shimano RT70 disc rotor from Chain Reaction Cycles
Shimano BR-R7000 rim brake
If disc brakes aren’t your thing, fear not. Shimano is still offering plenty of options for those that prefer rim brakes.
Shimano has improved tyre clearance on its latest generation of brakes to fit 28mm tires. Shimano offers the BR-R7000 series brakes in versions for direct mount front, seatstays, and chainstays configurations.
Our set weighs in at 194g per brake including pads.
- BR-R7000 brake: 194g
- BR-R7000 rim brake pricing: £37.99 / $49.99 / AU$79.00 / €47.99
- Buy Shimano BR-R7000 from Wiggle
Shimano FC-R7000 crankset
The centerpiece of the new 105 kit is the FC-R7000 crankset. It now features the same half matte, half gloss look of Dura-Ace and Ultegra.
Riders can choose from 165, 170, 172.5 and 175, and for the first time, 160mm lengths.
The crankset is available in chainring combinations of 53/39t, 52/36t and 50/34t. The cranks use the same 110mm asymemetric 4-bolt pattern as the previous generation, so unusual chainring combinations will still be possible using third-party rings.
Our 175mm cranks in a 52/36t combination including the plastic preload bolt weighs in at 752g.
- Shimano FC-R7000 (52/36t) crankset weight: 752g
- FC-R7000 crankset pricing: £134.99 / $159.99 / AU$259.00 / €154.99
- Buy the Shimano FC-R7000 crankset from Wiggle
CS-R7000 and CS-HG700-11 cassettes
Accompanying the crankset is a wide range of cassette options. There are now 105-level cassettes in 11-25, 11-28, 11-30, 11-32t and the wide-range CS-HG700 11-34t version. The CS-HG700-11 version will also fit on 10-speed freehub bodies with a spacer.
Clearly thinking that the BikeRadar office is staffed by weaklings, Shimano's UK distributor, Madison sent us through the wide range CS-HG700 cassette, which weighs 364g.
- CS-R7000 cassette pricing: £42.99 / $47.99 / AU$89.00 / € 67.99
- Buy Shimano CS-R7000 cassette from Wiggle
- CS-HG700 11-34 cassette weight: 364g
- CS-HG700-11 cassette pricing: £42.99 / $47.99 / AU$89.00 / €67.99
- Buy Shimano CS-HG700-11 11-34 from Sigma Sport
FD-R7000 front derailleur
The latest 105-level front derailleur benefits from the design of the latest Dura-Ace front derailleur, losing the super-long actuation arm in favour of a more compact design which incorporates tension adjustment into the derailleur itself.
Shimano claims this new design requires less effort to initiate upshifts and improved cable routing options. It also improves clearances for bikes with fat tyres or with sub-optimal chain lines.
- FD-R7000 front derailleur band on weight: 109g
- FD-R7000 front derailleur pricing: £34.99 / $39.99 / AU$69.00 / €39.99
- Buy Shimano FD-R7000 front derailleur from Chain Reaction Cycles
RD-R7000 rear derailleur
Last but not least, we have the new 105 rear derailleurs. The new rear derailleur uses Shimano’s low-profile Shadow parallelogram design. Shimano claims the design reduces crash vulnerability and improves shift performance.
Shimano offers this rear derailleur in a short cage (SS) version for 11-25 to 11-30t cassettes as well as a medium cage (GS) model for wider range 11-28-11-34t cassettes.
- RD-R7000-SS weight: 220g
- RD-R7000-GS weight: 227g
- RD-R7000 rear derailleur pricing: £47.99 / $52.99 / AU$99.00 / €54.99
- Buy Shimano's RD-R7000 rear derailleur from Chain Reaction Cycles
On paper, the latest Shimano 105 groupset looks to have most of the functionality of its 5-star-scoring Ultegra R8000 groupset with only a moderate weight penalty.
This is one we're really looking forward to putting some miles on and you can expect to see a full review in the near future.