While many riders may appreciate the aesthetics of bikes of yore, if we're honest, pretty much none of us prefer their performance to a modern machine. What if you could have both? This was the thinking behind Speedvagen's OG Classic, a modern steel bike styled in retro garb.
"We challenged ourselves to build a timeless bike with the feel and flavor of a top-end vintage race bike, but with all the benefits of Speedvagen technology and modern components," said Gordon Hirsch, director of marketing at Vanilla Bicycles, which makes the Speedvagens.
Vanilla is only taking orders on the bikes for three weeks, from June 1 - 23. The framesets are all handmade at Vanilla in Portland, Oregon.
Coming in five frame sizes (50-58cm), the OG Classic comes in Matte or Gloss Slate Blue — but the shifters, cranks and derailleurs are all silver, a rarity in today's black-is-the-new-black component world.
The parts package is high zoot, featuring a number of top US and Italian companies like Industry Nine, Chris King, Paul, Campagnolo, Kogel and ENVE.
The frame has all the signature touches fans of Speedvagen will recognize, like the Berzerker dropouts, integrated and matching seatmast and stainless steel reinforcements.
At $6,495, the bike is not cheap. But Vanilla isn't looking for huge numbers, Hirsch said.
"We’re not here to make a gagillion bikes," he said in a press release. "We’re here to make a few, very labor intensive bikes that will be truly meaningful for their owners."
Speedvagen OG Classic spec
- Campagnolo Potenza groupset
- ENVE Carbon 2.0 road fork
- Industry Nine i25SL wheel set, 1450g of direct power to forward motion.
- Extremely limited edition all white Fabric Carbon ALM
- Sim-Works Wonderer bars with Fabric Silicone tape
- Ritchey seatpost head & PRO PLT stem, both painted to match
- Paul custom high polished QR Skewers
- Chris King headset
- Kogel ceramic derailleur pulleys.
- Stainless steel King Cages.
- 700x28c Clement Strada LGG Gunwale Clinchers