In his 11th season as a professional, Japanese rider Yukiya Arashiro begins his 2018 campaign as he did in the previous season at the Tour Down Under.
While the updated 2018 Merida Reacto was first seen back in June at the Criterium du Dauphine, Arashiro receives an updated paintjob and new chainrings on a bike that is otherwise very similar to last season.
Bahrain-Merida used SRM Origin cranksets in their debut season and the German power-meter company has updated the crankset for 2018 with Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 series chainrings, resulting in a high-end black and raw carbon unit.
During 2017, Bahrain-Merida finished their Merida framesets in a red, gold, but predominantly metallic blue base-colour design. For 2018, the team switches the metallic blue base colour for a more contrasting black, which not only matches the crankset but the Dura-Ace groupset and Fulcrum Speed raw carbon wheels and allows the additional colours to pop out on the bike.
Arashiro chooses to pair his aero frameset with the equally wind-cheating Vision Metron 5D integrated handlebar and stem combination, which is only wrapped with tape on the drops and left bare on the tops for maximum aerodynamic performance.
Italian saddle specialists Prologo provide Bahrain-Merida with saddles, customised with bands of team colours on the rear of the saddle.
Merida Reacto CF4 full specification
- Frame: Merida Reacto CF4
- Fork: Merida Reacto Superlite full carbon tapered fork
- Saddle height, from bottom bracket (c-t): 705mm
- Tip of saddle nose to handlebars (c): 525mm
- Total bicycle weight: 7.26kg
- Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, 11-28
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Crankset: SRM Origin with integrated power meter, 172.5mm cranks, 53/39 Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 chainrings
- Wheels: Fulcrum Speed 55t
- Tyres: Continental Competition ALX, 25mm tubular
- Handlebars/stem: Vision Metron 5D, 410mm width (at hoods), 120mm stem (c-c)
- Tape/grips: Prologo
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Saddle: Prologo Nago Evo Team Edition in Bahrain-Merida colours
- Seatpost: Merida Reacto Superlite carbon
- Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race Plus
- Computer: SRM PC-8 in custom gold finish for Bahrain-Merida (not photographed)
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a detailed look at Arashiro’s 2018 bike.